Liangmian, originating from Henan province in China, is a kind of noodles salad with various receips. Most people translate “Liangmian” into “cold noodles’”, although Liangmian is also cold, however, cold noodles is a kind of Korean noodles which is made from a combination of wheatmeal, starch and buckwheat. But Liangmian is only made from wheatmeal.
In hot summer days, Chinese all love different types of Liangmian including Sichuan spicy Liangmian, Shandong sesame Liangmian, Guangdong egg Liangmian, and Beijing mixed vegetable Liangmian. In fact, people can make various Liangmian according to their own tastes.
Liangmian is not only famous for its cold and soft taste, but also famous for its function of resoving summer heat. One reason is that Liangmian is often made cold and can enhance appetite, especially in hot summer days. Also, some people would like to add spicy sauce into Liangmian, which can help people sweat a lot.
The receipt of Liangmian is fairly easy, what you need to prepare are noodles and any ingredients you like, such as vegetables, chicken, and eggs.
Now we can take Sichuan spicy Liangmian as an example.
Prepare Time: 20mins
Cook Time: 10mins
- 8 oz. fresh thin noodles
- 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil or sesame oil
- 1 cucumber, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2-3 garlic, diced
- Chopped spring onion
- Chopped coriander
Cooking the chicken breast
- 1 small chunk of boneless chicken breast
- 10 whole Sichuan peppercorn seeds
- 2 slices of ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper powder
- 2 star anise
- 4 slices of ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Peel cucumber and carrot, then slice into shreds.
- Cooking chicken. Put chicken breast into a pot with boiling water, add 2 slices of ginger, 10 whole Sichuan peppercorn seeds and 1 teaspoons salt. Cook for 15mins until the chicken breast is totally cooked. Soak chicken in cold water and shred with hand.
- Making chili sauce. Place Sichuan peppercorn powder, chili pepper powder, 1 star anise, 2 slices of ginger in a small bowl. Heat up around 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in pan with 2 slices of ginger and 1 star anise until there are waves on the surface and the oil is really hot. Discard the ginger slices and star anise. Pour the hot oil slowly into the bowl with the spicy powders.
- Cooking noodles. Put noodles in boiling water for around 5 minutes. Transfer out. Spread them and cool them down in cold water. Drain the noodles. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil in the noodles and mix well to avoid noodles become sticky.
- Final step. Transfer noodles to a mixing bowl, add chili oil, soy sauce, salt, vinegar, sugar, garlic. Mix well and then top with chopped spring onion and coriander, shredded cucumber and carrot, sliced chicken meat. Add 1 teaspoon of chili oil on top of these ingredients.
- Mixed all of these ingredients well before enjoy!